Our perspective is built on empathy and heart.
Unum is a company operating on a set of principles that are fundamental to the human need to feel safe; to feel cared for; to belong. We demonstrate our commitment to these guiding principles through dedication to community service, with the billions in claims paid each year, and in the actions of our people every day.
Empathy is a matter of what we say and how we say it. Every communication is a chance to show we care. Our business is serious, but it doesn’t have to be cold and impersonal.
How to write with empathy:
- Put yourself in the customer’s position and prioritize what’s important to them.
- In any situation, use a tone that you’d expect as if you were the recipient.
- Acknowledge audience pain points and frustrations, and offer solutions.
- Consider every communication an opportunity to further the relationship.
- Don’t over-communicate in frequency or volume; be respectful of time and needs.
- When in doubt, think of someone you care for and imagine they’re the audience.